Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Punched by an Elephant

Ouch!


As we were strolling down the street to visit the Sree Meenakshi temple in Madurai at about 8am, I encountered an elephant. Elephants in India are up to all kinds of tricks, but generally, seeing one is lucky, being noticed by one is even better.

She trundled up to me with her big wrinkly legs and funny toenails and looked at me through her long black eyelashes. I had a rupee in my hand, which she snatched with her wet pink trunk-strils. And then she blessed me, which involves her curling up her trunk and punching me in the head. What luck!

Then I was followed by a baby calf - India's all-time number one most sacred beast. The cows in India, being far superior to mere humans, have their own special bubble in which other beings do not exist, which is how they survive sleeping in the middle of motorways. Somehow I managed to make it into this one's universe, and it was in ecstasy, rubbing it's itchy little horns on my freshly laundered jeans. They felt like baby teeth coming through.

Say hello to my little friends!